Monday, August 25, 2014

{Sun-Room Ceiling}

One of the biggest focal points of our sunroom is the ceiling. I just don't think pictures do it justice! 

The blue beadboard mixed with the white molding just makes the entire ceiling pop! 

But we'll be honest...this ceiling was a pain in the tooshie!



The ceiling before was popcorned...why people of the 60's...why?

The ceiling was peeling in a lot of places, and we really need to do some caulking, so a makeover was pretty necessary. 


See...these weren't even the biggest pieces!


So I got a lot of the bigger pieces, then Wendel came in with the big guns and got to work! 


And here we have our ceiling...in a pile...on the floor! 


After some cleaning, we were ready to go! 

Now to be honest, we did the floors first...but that post is taking for freaking ever! 



So the ceiling is concrete, so we couldn't screw the beadboard right into concrete.

Well we could...just that's a lot of holes in our porch which sits on top of the sunroom. 

So Wendel decided to put up some 1x4's all along the ceiling so we could screw the beadboard into the 1x4's.


We had to use a hammer drill that will go into concrete from Wendel's work...which we broke {but was able to fix} and it got the job done! 


The pillars were the biggest headache, but this is what we ended up doing. 


Then it was time for beadboard! 

We started with the middle pieces that would fit around the ceiling fan. 


And one at a time, and LOTS of measuring later...



We had a covered ceiling...not finished...but covered! 


And after some painting of the ceiling {and the walls in Sherwin Williams Rainwashed} we were ready to do the molding details. 


Now you can see that there are gaps between the boards.

Also notice the boards along the outside...I'm a terrible blogger and forgot to snap photos of us putting these up! 


And one at a time, we put these up {and by we...I mean Wendel} making sure to fit them around the ceiling fan using a template from the ceiling fan box actually. 



Woo hoo...so so so pretty!  


Now here, you can see cracks where the white boards meet...well a little caulk helped to conceal that! 


Ya'll we used SO much caulk for this project...and SO much painting! 

I could have shot myself...and I STILL am finding white paint in my hair! 


Now for full disclosure, this is not a cheap project. Beadboard is pretty expensive {around $20 a sheet}so I would estimate this project to being about $250. Not a cheap or quick fix in the slightest...but it's SO pretty! 

Also, we did the project over a few months...full disclosure people :) 

With all the crazy traveling {and not being home on weekends} and House of Cards/Scandal...we just couldn't seem to get motivated. 

But after a tearful night of me saying I may have a mental breakdown from this freaking sunroom...Wendel and I {and my mom...more on her HUGE help soon} got this sucker done...and we're SO very in love! 

I hope this is able to inspire some of ya'll! 

Happy Monday!! 

3 comments:

  1. It looks soooo good. When we buy a home (which apparently will be in 20 years haha) I want your help to decorate and redo it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks friend!! But you have awesome style, so I doubt you'll need my help :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Both you and Wendel did such an amazing job on that project. The ceiling and the windows all look awesome. I just hope you don't cover them with dark curtains, it'd be such a waste. Anyway, thanks for sharing that, Lelia! Kudos and all the best! :)

    Lynne Hollaran @ Suburban Glass Service, Inc.

    ReplyDelete