Wednesday, October 24, 2012

{A Weight Loss Story: Theron}

My most viewed post on the blog is by far my weight loss story.

Which is hilarious because I never even considered writing about it until one night I just started typing! 

Well it turns out that somehow...it inspired a lot of people! 

Talk about humbling! 

Alex's best friend from Samford, Theron {who we just went to an Auburn game with} started his weight loss journey last year around this time, and I'm thrilled to have him share his story on the blog! 

This is a different account, because it's a different plan, and a different gender...obviously. 

Theron is amazing, hilarious, and sort of weird {in a good way...}so enjoy! 


It was 5th grade when I found out.

It was bring your baby picture to school day. Everyone pinned their baby picture to a board and would guess who was who. 

Standing in the background, I overheard the popular kid say, “wow, he was fat when he was a baby too.” 

Yep. Pointing at my picture.

I remember being at six flags trying to win a prize at the stupid guess your weight game.  If the Six-flags worker couldn't guess your weight within +/- 3 lbs., you win. She guessed 209. I stepped on the scale…210lbs. 

That was 10th grade.


When I started college I was about 220 lbs. Hello college meal plan.

I hit 230 my sophomore year.

 In June of 2011 I got married. I stopped getting on the scale for a while. 

I was obese by definition. What else did I really need to know?

 The next time I stepped on the scale was the weekend of the Georgia/Auburn football game in 2011. 

We were celebrating my BDAY with family. 

My brothers found my scale and began weighing themselves. 

When they left the room I got on…237 lbs.

…GULP…O God.

For the first time in my life I got scared about my weight. I was 24 years old. Even if I gain about 5 lbs. a year, by the time I’m 30, I would be around 270 lbs. By 35 I could be hitting 300 lbs. Did I mention that I’m 5’8”?

Time out: Things to know about me

Understand that I am not a diet person. I hate diets. I hate counting calories. I've tried the iPhone apps to track calories.

I've never been able to actually stay on a diet. I've tried cutting back during meals but that wasn't working either.

I've also tried the “Go to the gym” approach to losing weight. It worked a little. I would run and lift weights and run some more but I never lost more than 10lbs. As soon as I would stop working out the weight would come right back.

 I had reached the two roads diverged in a yellow wood moment, only if I made the wrong choice I know I would be using a fat scooter from Wal-Mart to do the traveling. 

I had two choices.

 ·         Opt A – Be fat, get fatter, get heart disease, get high blood pressure, get diabetes, and get on meds to deal with all these issues…get on more meds to deal with the side effects of the other meds.

The icing on the cake was family. Being obese doesn't just affect you. 

One day I hope to have children and I hope to be there for them. I would be the fat dad that would try and tell his son/daughter the importance of being healthy…gasping for wind after throwing a few passes in the yard. Then going to sit on the couch to catch my breath with my son/daughter (yes, daughter will know how to throw a football). Nothing like some chips covered in cheese and salsa to help me catch my breath. Great lesson to teach children. 

Not only does it affect your children but your spouse. Either I am going to die early or I will live a miserable existence that requires my spouse to tie my shoes or worse, help put on my prosthetic leg b/c diabetes made it fall off.

·         Option B – do something. 

The only problem was that I didn't know what to do. I tried everything I knew. So I really began to consider Opt A by default.

A few days after the Auburn/Georgia game I was talking with a friend about this diet called “THE PALEO DIET.”

He sent me a link to this Blog called Nerd Fitness.

 The article suggested Rob Wolf’s book The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet.

 I read both…and boom...there was my Option B.

 After reading the book I was 100% sold. It just made sense. The more I researched, the more convinced I became.
 I made my commitment. It was the end of November. I weighed 240 lbs and I was going to commit to the Paleo lifestyle for 30 days.

Simplified Paleo = No grains, dairy, sugar, or oil other than olive

For a more in depth look at the Paleo Lifestyle check out the Nerdfitness.com article.
(it will take a few minutes but it is 100% worth the read).

At first it was hard. I didn't know what to eat or where to eat. 

At lunch the first few days I would go to target and buy a ton of carrots out of desperation. 

My digestive system went into shock for about 3 days. Then it got a little easier. 

After 7 days on a 98% Paleo diet I dropped 11 lbs. 

By January 1, 2012 I had dropped another 9 lbs. I was down to 220lbs. 

It had been about 30 days. Keep in mind I just came through Christmas Holidays and dropped 20 lbs. 

Not only had I lost a great deal of weight, I felt so much better. 

I had more energy. I was happier. 

And most importantly for the first time in my life, I felt there was hope that I could be the skinny guy (Dear naturally skinny people, you suck. Stop complaining about not being able to bulk up, Nobody cares.)

 I decided to stick with it with a few minor tweaks.

·         February 1, 2012 I was down to 218lbs. (Dairy makes a difference if you want the weight to come off quicker)

·         March 8, 2012 = 216 lbs. At this point I started strength training. (Body fat % = 22.6%)

·         March 20, 2012 = 219 lbs. I gained a few pounds the first 3 weeks of working out but it started falling slowly again.

·         April 1, 2012 = 215 lbs.

·         April 12, 2012 = 211 lbs. (Body fat % = 20.4%)

·         June 1, 2012 = 210lbs. Around this time I started studying for my CPA so the gym routine had to be put let go for a while.

·         June 19, 2012 = 207 lbs.

·         August 15, 2012 = 204 lbs. (Body fat % = 18.9%)

·         September 1, 2012 = 204 lbs. – passed first section of CPA and working out again.

·         September 25, 2012 – 209 lbs. (body fat % = 18.8%)

 Goal =  190 lbs. = total loss of 50 lbs.

Here are a few lessons I learned from my journey so far (most of these come from Nerdfitness.com check it out)

1. Weight loss is 75% diet and 25% exercise (MOST IMPORTANT)

2. If you can’t get your workout done in under 45 minutes, you are doing it wrong.

3. If it took me 24 years to get this big. It will take time for it to come off

4. Only change your workout routine if you have been committed to it for 6 weeks or longer

5. Treadmills are for hamsters and Strength training is key (yes even for girls) – Muscle burns fat. More muscle burns more fat. Treadmills do more for endurance than creating more muscle. I've done the cardio 
only approach to working out. I did lose weight but as soon as I stopped it came back.

6. You will need a support group…mine @ nerdfitness.com as well as support from family

7. Stop comparing yourselves to other people – you only see their results without seeing their years of hard work and struggle. Play the hand you’re dealt.

8. There is hope!!

Before


215 lbs


209 lbs


204 lbs


________________________________________________________________________

Pretty amazing stuff, right? 

It just goes to show that there is a plan for everyone, you just need to find what's right for you! 

So drop that Twinky and go take a run! 


25 comments:

  1. Awesome job! It's taken me a lot longer, but after changing my diet and exercising a little, I've dropped 30 lbs in the last year and a half. No easy feat, and it is definitely a lifestyle choice. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 30 lbs! That's amazing! It's just exciting, to me, to think that our children will grow up in healthy houses! But you're right...it's a lifestyle choice!

      Delete
  2. The fact that I could discover the satanic origin of the human conscience is the result of God's revelations in dreams thanks to our scientific progress, in a historical time when our absurdity is visible, and can be clearly analyzed. Now that so many mental illnesses were discovered and we already verified that we don't know how to stop having mental CBD for anxiety and depression problems, God is giving us explanations. Our satanic anti-conscience is too powerful. This is why it generates mental disorders, unbearable symptoms, and also accidents and other misfortunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this information, it is very useful for all. Get the best Programming Assignment Help Services at the cheapest price. BookMyEssay provides the best organizational culture assignment help. Therefore, to avail of our assignment help offering no plagiarism, Free Turnitin, Partial Payment, Unlimited Revisions, etc. you'll contact our team of highly professional, experienced, Ph.D. experts to avail the discounted services!

      Delete
  3. This is some useful material. It took me a while to unearth this site but it was worth the time. I noticed this website was buried in bing and not the number one spot. This weblog has a lot of decent stuff and it doesnt deserve to be burried in the searches like that. By the way I am going to save this weblog to my list of favorites. Cockroach Pest Control Abu Dhabi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shopping for Health List insurance can leave many people confused. Knowing which insurance company to choose or which insurance plan is the best may seem daunting impossible. But once you know the basics of health insurance, choosing the right health insurance plan is simple easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I would want to offer a enormous thumbs up to the great info you might have here with this post. We are returning to your site for additional soon. https://royalcbd.com/product/cbd-gummies-10mg/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is vitally important that commercial truck drivers have some type of medical care plan due to the high rate of illnesses and injuries that they sustain. Most commercial truck drivers health is not the best and could be improved through better food choices. Typically, many truckers diets consist of far too many unhealthy food choices. benefits hot yoga

    ReplyDelete
  7. With all the fuss about the new policy, open enrollment period, the subsidies given by government and the necessity to have a health cover has created new choices and issues at the same time for the new college grads. Some of the choices they make are; Mom & Dad's plan, individually purchased coverage, short-term coverage, etc., but there is a whole new lot of options coming on for them. organic ghee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Achieve your Йога Львів together goals: A great way to start a fitness plan is with your friends. Many people become quite nervous when they first attempt to get into shape with an exercise strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Weight loss is a long term process of losing weight through healthy means and keeping the weight off with a healthy lifestyle. To kick start your weight loss journey, it is best to have a weight loss goal worksheet at hand so you can realistically set your goals and plans. how to lose weight fast naturally

    ReplyDelete
  10. With all the fuss about the new policy, open enrollment period, the subsidies given by government and the necessity to have a health cover has created new choices and issues at the same time for the new college grads. Some of the choices they make are; Mom & Dad's plan, individually purchased coverage, short-term coverage, etc., but there is a whole new lot of options coming on for them. Knee CT Scan in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Health Coaching is a relatively new profession which focuses on helping people making positive changes in their health, physical, mental and emotional lives, that they have not been able to do for themselves. Here are ten "pain for gain" reasons to hire (or become) a health coach. noson nasal dilator

    ReplyDelete
  12. The amount of medical services needed in the United States opens many possible career choices for students. The health care field requires numerous professionals to carry out specific duties within a community or inside a hospital. Students are able to enter a career in health care by choosing to complete education through an online school. one shot keto price

    ReplyDelete
  13. Because marijuana is still illegal at the federal level, business owners in 23 U.S. states where medical marijuana is legal face discrimination at tax time. Before any of these business owners files a tax return they need to be aware of the power that anti-marijuana IRS auditors hold over their financial future. Federal Tax Court has denied deductions on everything from store rent to marijuana purchased for resale to patients in the state-approved medical marijuana industry. The IRS does this by combining the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 together with IRS Code Section 280E. This allows them to grab huge sums of money from state-legal small business owners. chronic carts

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of the main factors in that sphere is making sure that the overflowing pile of homework on their plate is manageable to say the very least. So, in this article, we would like to focus our attention on the topic regarding the role of the parents in soliciting online help for the Homework Help of the students.

    Read Also This Blog : https://bit.ly/3rrTSmu

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found this one pretty fascinating, and you should go into my collection also umyu sbrs courses and admission list. We provide school admission updates and scholarship opportunities, among other services all over the world. I appreciate your article, please keep writing more content.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As the name indicates that the senior health is concerned with the health of aged and old people who are really weak to take care of themselves. As old years are the golden years of the life so to spend them in ease and tension free you must get some information about the senior health and senior health directory. Taking proper diet and proper care can prevent you to suffer from any problem or ailment in these golden years of life and you will be able to live a healthy and better quality of life. buying hgh online

    ReplyDelete
  17. The implementation of the Health Care Reform Act will have an impact on America's health brokers and most U.S. citizens as well. Division A of the Health Care Reform Act will be of particular interest to those who are in need of an affordable medical plan. hgh injections online

    ReplyDelete
  18. As The US emerges from a long recession, managing the growing cost of healthcare remains an ongoing concern. The Affordable Health Act will eventually assure the availability of healthcare insurance coverage to over 30 million more Americans. This landmark legislation will improve access to a previously uninsured or underinsured group of Americans. lip fillers dubai

    ReplyDelete
  19. As the process and costs of buying real estate in Kenya can vary by location and property type, this scenario helps explain one of the most popular real-estate investment options: a 3 bedroom apartment in the CBD of Nairobi. Buying any real estate in Kenya is an easy process guided by Kenyan property laws and regulations. Be it as it may, the process will often differ slightly based on the type of property you want to buy and how you are going to finance the property investment. January

    ReplyDelete
  20. As The US emerges from a long recession, managing the growing cost of healthcare remains an ongoing concern. The Affordable Health Act will eventually assure the availability of healthcare insurance coverage to over 30 million more Americans. This landmark legislation will improve access to a previously uninsured or underinsured group of Americans. steroids online

    ReplyDelete
  21. We provide you a basic guide to making homemade baby food. We are experts who have Keto diet custom plan. We look forward to providing you the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The next time you visit a health care provider make sure you are paying the contracted rate and you are in network. This will help you save money and ensure that you are getting the benefit from your health insurance. where to buy clenbuterol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are you interested in learning how to make your own health and wellness products with little more than the natural resources you already have in your home and garden? fuel factor x

    ReplyDelete